Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Garden

Dust clouds puffed with each step that I take down the long dirt road. I passed field after field, filled to overflowing with all the good things that summer brings. Tomatoes, corn, cucumbers... Occasionally I exchange hello's with a farmer and we talk for a bit. I continue my walk and laugh at the jack rabbits as they steal their way into the gardens for an afternoon snack. I sing with the robin's and marvel at the blueness of the sky. I realize I have never ventured this far down the dirt road before. Excitement quickens my steps, and I am anxious to see what is around the bend in the road.  My joy turns to sadness as I approach a garden plot that has been abandoned. Weeds and thorns fill each row, choking out what little life is left.  The fence is in desperate need of repair, and the gate is hanging loose from it's hinges. Someone planted it, why didn't they tend it? I stepped through the gate and began pulling the weeds and thorns from around the tender plants. Determination ruled my hands as I worked. Row after row until all of the plants were free.

"I went by the field of the slothful and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And lo it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall there of was broken down." (Proverbs 24:30-31)

"My child, your life is like a garden, and your heart is the soil. My word is the seed and each time you hear and understand, those seeds are planted deep within your heart. The Holy Spirit waters those seeds and My word begins to grow; you begin walking in what my Word says. Then the cares of this life, disappointments, and hurts are the weeds and thorns, if you allow it they too are planted in the garden of your heart. If not surrendered to Me, they will choke out the tender plants of my Word. They will choke out the life that I so long for you to live. Cast all your care upon me dear child, because I truly care for you. Allow me to replace the hurt, disappointment, and cares of this world with My love, with My wisdom, with My understanding. I will teach you all that you need to know. Surrender it all to me. You were never designed to carry it."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment