Monday, April 7, 2014

Jake

I woke with a start. "Go to your kitchen and put what I tell you into a bag." I closed my eyes hoping to fall back to sleep, sure that I had dreamed the voice. I was wide awake though and sat up on the edge of the bed. Rubbing my eyes, I heard the voice again. "Go to your kitchen and put what I tell you into a bag." I didn't have to pray, I knew God had given me an assignment. I retrieved a plastic grocery bag from my stash and opened my cabinet doors wide. I looked at the contents of my cabinets, and my heart sank. A can of tuna, a box of macaroni and cheese, a couple of cans of vegetables, a loaf of bread and a can of soup. "Pitiful" I mumbled to my self as I turned to the refrigerator. A gallon of milk, a cup of yogurt, three slices of cheese, a tomato, and a carton of potato salad I had  picked up after work. I stood there shaking my head wondering why I was in my kitchen at 3am looking at my meager supply of groceries, holding a plastic bag. "Put everything in the bag." Stunned, I stood there a moment, wondering if I had heard correctly. Then I began putting all of the items, such as they were into the bag. As I placed the last item, the tomato into the bag, a heavy knock sounded at my door. "Take the bag with you, and open the door." A young man stood before me. "Good morning mam, my name is Jake. I know this is going to sound strange, but God told me to come. He said that you would help me. I haven't eaten in three days." I smiled at Jake without saying a word, and held up the bag.   


"If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. James 2:15-17"

This narrative is wholly fictional, but a wonderful example of what God can and will do through a willing vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment